Guidelines while speaking
- Speak slowly and clearly. It is important to slow down the speech rate as you are not facing the person before you.
- State your name before speaking. There may be participants in the call who may not recognize your voice.
- When asking a question, name the person to whom your question is directed
- Keep background noise to the minimum when speaking.
- If you are using a mobile phone, please ensure you use a touch-tone (tone dialling) telephone.
- Avoid using parallel line for a conference.
- While using a mobile phone, ensure you are in an area of strong signal reception.
- If you are using a landline, turn all GSM phones “off” or keep them far away from your land line to avoid GSM signal interference.
- Check your battery charge level before the conference.
- It is normally suggested that all participants mute their lines when they are not talking (this will reduce noise levels in the conference). A line can be Muted by pressing *6.
- Enter the commands gently but firmly.
Planning your conference
- During festive periods like Diwali, Christmas, New Year, Sankaranti, etc, plan your call in advance to reduce the possibility of call / line / network congestion.
- Please keep in mind the holidays and festive dates of other countries as well. Sometimes the calls do not get through during important days due to festivities and holidays overseas.
- During a conference call, do not carry on a side conversation with your lines un-muted. You can mute your line by pressing *6.
- During a conference call, do not put your phone on hold, as it may play an “on hold” message or music, disturbing other participants in the conference.
- Use the self mute option *6 if you are going to be in an area of high background noise, such as a mall, on the street, or in traffic.
- Do not enter the touch-tone commands from your telephone keypad slowly, as they may register as a double-entry, and not have the desired result.
- The phone you are using for the conference should be kept clear of any other electronic equipment to optimize clarity.
- While in a conference call, avoid sitting directly under a fan or Air Conditioner as it adds to noise during the call.